Friday, July 18, 2008

The End is Getting Near

As the end of my time here approaches, things are speeding up--it feels like this last week is flying by. I've been busy with classes and friends and feel like I don't have a minute to spare. This morning I went back to the old city to pick up my jewelery at Hadaya--it turned out beautifully! While I was there, I snapped a few pictures. Below are photos of the jewelry store, other shots of the Old City, and finally a view of the city walls from right outside the Jaffa Gate:





Once we had picked up the jewelry, I walked through the Old City and up Jaffa to the main shopping area near Ben Yehuda. I had brunch in a cafe/bookstore and read for a while, then I windowshopped and eventually made my way to Machane Yehuda and the shuk. I felt like quite the Israeli wannabe doing all my shopping on Friday; the shuk, of course, was packed. I bought enough rugelach for an army, as I am invited out for every meal this Shabbat--nice for me! Each of my hosts will get desert, and I also got some rugelach for the neighbors who have been so kind to me. I ran into several of my classmates on my travels, ending with some aquaintences with whom I shared a cab back home. Jerusalem does feel like a small world now--it seems everywhere I go I see people I know or who know people I know. If the rest of the world has 6 degrees of separation, I think Jews have 2.

I dropped the rugelach at my neighbors'--they were happily surprised--and then returned home to clean up and get ready for Shabbat. I'm now going to have a nap and a shower and then off to kabbalat Shabbat services, dinner at friends', and then another round of shul and meals tomorrow. Not a bad life! Though I am missing home more and more each day and can't wait to speak to Elie, who returns from camp today.


At some point I hope to have time to share my impressions of the synagogues where I've prayed here--though I am worried that this blog may suffer in the next few days as I get packed up, head to Tel Aviv on Monday and then fly home Wednesday. In any case, I'll look forward to sharing more when I see you all soon. Love and Shabbat shalom from Jerusalem.

No comments: